I've bedded Remingtons with and without tape on the front, bottom and sided of the lug, just the front, and just the bottom. I've never done any extensive testing but I never could tell that it made a difference in accuracy.

Anymore I tape the front sides and bottom just because it is easier to remove and replace the action in the stock later on. I often go back with a Dremel and deepen the bottom in the stock. Reason being that if a piece of dirt or something drops in there, I don't want it putting upward pressure on the lug causing stress on the action. Some argue that with the oversize lug cavity that you are more likely for something to work it's way in. Others argue that if the front and/or sides are tight that you are more likely the lug itself will scrape a little bedding into the bottom of the cavity creating upward pressure.

I make it loose and make sure it is clean whenever the action is replaced into the stock. Works for me.

YMMV.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org