Friday night I was fast asleep and (as usual), my two canids were having the normal occasional yelling match with the Coyotes,... far in the backround,...the sorta' thing one subconsciously seems to turn the volume down on. Around 11 PM that changed, and alarm, anger and VOLUME were evident,...Golly,...Snake, stupid adolescent Coyote jumped the fence, Raccoon,...stray dogs ( or ferals) right on the fence line ? ....sigh, don sweatshirt, and mocs, grab flashlight,...sally forth to see.
None of the above, STRONGLY advised in the olfactory mode of same, directly I open the door,...the place has taken a direct hit from a Skunk, and it's evident that my little Cattle Dog Nip's been in the target area, she's madly rubbing her nose and face in the grass,...butt up in the air, rear legs driving, shoulders front legs and face driven and dragging. The old Queensland Heeler bitch, Grace is ROARING at some thick stuff over by the water well. I foolishly illuminate little Zorillo, and with a coughing snarl more like a lion than a dog, Gracey's got the skunk in her jaws, and runs off into the dark,....North, down the fenceline. Damn near choking in the stinking night air, I retreat into my humble abode, and return to bed......what's left of the night goes dead quiet, and the aftermath of this rank event can be dealt with in daylight.

Breath deeply,....Ah, fresh night air, and life in a rural setting.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/25/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain