Yes they were very messy and just blew all to pieces.In 1994,I shot a buck in the shoulder at 250yds with the old 150gr ballistic tip and it didn't make it through the scapula.He went down and I did recover the deer with a neck shot later.I was quite surprised when I cleaned the deer,because I could clearly see blood coming from his nose and mouth and I thought that it had penetrated into the chest cavity.I guess the old 7mag hit him hard enough to knock the wind out of him and cause him to hemorrhage on the inside.I guess there is another argument for using enough gun.Had I been using a small caliber that day and the same thing happened,I am sure that deer would have never been recovered.I have those pieces somewhere and if I can find them I'll post the picture.After that I switched to a different bullet and just started shooting them again the last couple of years and find them to now be a very good bullet.This is a photo of the fragments of the old 150gr 7mm BT I recovered from the buck's scapula.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by baldhunter; 10/01/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............