Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I ended up selling my 400 gr .476" hp mold because I simply couldn't get good bullets out of it. When I had it hot enough to get complete fill out a chunk of the nose would break off when I dropped the bullets and when I allowed additional time for the bullets to cool the mold got too cold and I got wrinkles in the nose.

I think it's common for people to have experiences like yours and conclude that hollow points are hard to cast, but really it's all a matter of hollow point design.

Unfortunately most of the commercial hollowpoint mold makers (including Mihec and NOE) either don't understand hollow point design well and how to make them cast easy, or are just going along with group buy requests. Personally I haven't seen one yet that had the hollow point designed right, except the Mihec 401-200 WFN, which I had a hand in hollow point design on that one. I've ended up reshaping the pins on all my other commercial hollow point molds.

Almost everything I cast for pistols these days has hollow points; when the pins are designed with enough taper to release easily and give good performance, they cast as easily as any other mold. They can certainly improve terminal performance as well; I feel it's a bit narrow minded to say they are just a fad.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/12/16.