Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You fellows don't have a clue!!

Rick, I'd like to see them in a good palmetto flat, a 5 yr cut over, a good pine thicket, etc. with dogs running a deer.

Over a 5 year period of time my friend from Alabama and I tested all different types of buckshot through standard chokes that are available. The usual consensus is that 'open chokes' were required for shooting buckshot and that turned out to be horse schitt! The most effective thing we discovered after shooting many many patterns at various ranges out to 60 yards was a full-choked vent-ribbed barrel on a 26" Model 870 using 000! It delivered the best patterns out to 60 yards.

I guess all those bucks I killed in Alabama died from fright! And anyone that has ever hunted in SE Alabama knows what the terrain is like! When the hurricanes come up through that area of pine timber it lays criss-crossed pine trees down that are nothing but a jungle of briars and 'wait a minute' thickets and rifles are about as much use as a fart in a whirlwind!! And I won't even tell you how far I've seen my buddy Ned kill running bucks with 000!! None went over 50 yards from where first hit either!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!