Originally Posted by johnw
I'd rather talk rifles than cartridges any day, but in essence the .17 Rem and the 30-06 Springfield are more alike than they are different.

FWIW, I absolutely love the .308 cartridge, and have .308s in 2 different rifles.

But for a hunting cartridge I do believe that most guys are best served with a rifle chambered to a modern cartridge in .24, .25, or .26 caliber.

Aint' much a guy couldn't do with a sporter or light weight rifle made up in stainless/synth., and shooting a good 6.5 bullet.

My personal choice for decades was the .243 Winchester. Had a 25-06 built and it was a sweet shooting killing machine. Just this year i came home with a .260 Rem, and it's likely found it's forever home.

I do own a 243, a 700 i picked up not long ago. Havent taken game with it yet but used to shoot an old Browning lever action when i first started hunting and killed quite a few deer with it. I really like the caliber. I kept saying last year i was gonna get a 6.5x55 but never did. Handled the new Bergara rifles and must own one. I guess its likely gonna be 308 but gonna research the 6.5creed some more