Originally Posted by irfubar
Formid,
You bring up some interesting points and have proof to back them up.

I cant disagree, one question though you refer to approximately 20" of penetration. Do you believe that's enough for larger critters like elk?

As long as you the bullet starts in the vitals quartering away or towards, yes it's enough. I, of course would prefer more, however I want the widest wound channel possible while still penetrating deep enough.

I read on a previous post you were considering a 243 for an elk hunt?
And you posted a pic of you? in Glacier close to a grizzly with a Glock 9mm.

We know 458win mag(Phil) stopped a charging grizzly with a 9mm.

With new bullet technology maybe we should rethink the old norms?

I carried a 243 twice this year for elk and will again one more time. As for the 9mm, it's about hitting. As far as bullets- I think it's both. People went through "magnumitus" in the mid to late 1900's where only a 300 Weatherby was good enough for Texas deer. With that- bullets are VASTLY superior in almost all calibers and people have more opportunities to kill animals now. It's nothing to kill 20-30 deer a year now in some places which generally wasn't possible 30-40 years ago.

Once dudes really start putting animals on the ground with a bunch of different cartridges with correct bullet choices they tend to see that they are generally more alike than different.

That being said, I shot a small whitetail at close range with a 22 Hornet, tight behind the shoulder in the lungs. The load was a 50gr Hornady at 2300fps, it ran off and I never found it, made me sick thinking about it.

Point being you can go too far with the marginally powered rounds.
I suspect Alaska Lanche would feel a little uneasy prowling around Alaska with a 22-250, I know I would.

There's no doubt. I wasn't, and am not advocating a 22-250 for general Alaska use. I am saying that if one doesn't notice a large (or any?) difference between a .375 and a 308 in deer, there's no way that there is a large difference between a 308 and 6.5.

You can definitely kill a WT with a Hornet, but it'd be best to pay attention to bullets and placement...... just like with every other one.

Amazing how people have no issue killing with a pointed stick in the lungs, but a bullet that creates for mare damage causes so much heartache......