Originally Posted by CGPAUL
The ballistic calculators (Hornadays) I find are close enough to get you on paper, if the paper is large enough. I normally start at 300 yrds, then go to 600. I correct if needed, and usually it`s needed. I also use the G1 number, as I`ve found the G7 to be too optimistic. But the point is the BC numbers are used as a starting point, tho you may find a print out dead on. My 7 Wby with 162 SST`s is one case.
I also make my own dial info, easy to change out if I use another bullet.

I found the same thing this week; but Im not ready to toss the Nosler BC numbers( or the Hornady calculator) into the toilet. I came up short at 600 after making "assumptions" about the load, i.e.: I have not clocked the load, I am not rock solid on a 250 yard zero,and I am not going to make assumptions about how accurately this NF SHV is adjusting.

Knowing full well all of the above, I came up short at 600 after dialing 10.4 MOA a 600 and it was not enough.

So who can I blame? Mostly me for ignoring the basics.... but I will note the 7mm Mashburn Super is spot on and the Hornady Calculator says so. Mostly because the other stuff was worked out in advance.

Point being it seems lots of things can affect the outcome.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/07/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.