Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm sure I'll pizz off the fly fishing snobs here, but no freakin' way am I going to Orvis and spending more on a fly rod that I spent on my last car. I know there's a legitimate reason eveyone needs a thousand dollar fly rod.

Doesn't pizz me off, but I'm more of a St Croix guy..but I don't get the impression was to give the (I assume) avid flyfisher co-worker an Ugly Stik and a handful of Panther Martins as a going away give; that's what they'd do at my office.

Anyhow, Simm's Certainly does make some good stuff, Sage, Loomis, St Croix, Orvis, all top notch. I think Cabela's carries a bunch of it. Other online stores like feather craft might be worth a check as well.

I think it's a great idea to let the co-worker choose his own purchase with a gift card to a place that has a lot of selection. Picking the just right thing for a dedicated flyfisher can be difficult at best. No doubt there is something he would love though...and would it even be a pair of waders or rod. There are tying vises that could burn a hole in that card all by themselves.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.