Originally Posted by utah708
More important than pure accuracy for me would be its field accuracy and "carry-ability." The Echols Legend stock is a good start. But with that stock, don't even think about trying to use open sights. The comb is too high and straight. But it handles recoil really well.

I would also pay a lot of attention to the barrel profile and length. Most .375H&H barrels are too long and bulky. I sold my M70 Classic in 375 H&H after one Afric hunt for exactly that reason. The cartridge certainly does not need 26" barrels to achieve benchmark velocities. I would be thinking in the 22" range (maybe 23", which would look better with a Legend stock), and about .675" muzzle diameter.

Penrod does good work, but he is slower and more expensive than Redneck (Lee), whose work has never let me down.

I agree with the overly heavy .375 H&H M-70 24" tubes. With the Classic, they have the same contour, .458, 416 and .375, of course, the latter is heavier, less metal removed from the bore.

I cut a 24" SS Classic to 21" had it flutted, steel bedded it in the Tupperware stock. I like that stock, drop is about right. I had a Legend on a .404J M-70 build and agree, it's hard to get down on it enough for irons. With the Tupperware, it's easy to see the NECG iron.

As shown, this gun balances very well and with the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T*, weighs 9#, 1 oz. Weight is well under 9#'s with the 1.5-5x20.

The factory barrel shoots very well. So, this is an inexpensive solution to the accurate .375 issue in a very useable package that's about bullet proof regarding rough handling, wet climates, etc. You can spend a lot more...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/10/16.