Originally Posted by jwall

This is the longest spell of deer being nocturnal that I've seen in many years.

HALELUJA ! HALELUJA ! I say twice because I have 2 reasons to be happy.

FINALLY I saw deer in the daylight (barely). At 6:50 AM I was going out beside the barn to watch for deer. I saw 4 dark shapes---it was cloudy and dim. I grabbed my binos and sure nuff DEER !

I grabbed my 6-oh-6 and picked out THE buck I'd been looking for since Oct.
[Linked Image]

The white is his belly. I took the orange barrel there to help me LRF and identify the spot. He was 135 yds - withers - DRT.

No.2, I'd seen this buck once or twice and I called him Freak Buck. I've also seen a NICE 8 pt but I WANTED Freak first if I had a choice.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was a small 3 pt right antler and 2 spikes straight up on the left. I've mentioned him in another thread but not this one. I've been hoping to REMOVE him from the herd. DONE.

He was with 3 other deer. A small forky and 2 Does (?)-no antlers anyway. The fork horn looked like 1 of the 2 I saw last week. Can't be positive.

Actually there is a 3rd point (1" long) behind the smaller one but it's not visible in the pic.

When I got to him, I saw a hole in the lower part of his neck. I knew I didn't shoot him in the neck. Upon investigation-- that was where he was GORED by another buck. I dug around and opened it up a lot. There were NO fragments or bullet and NO exit. Another buck had gored him.
[Linked Image]

Freak weighed 145 lbs whole. Our deer don't get that heavy in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm convinced he was 3 1/2 yr old. Also it may show in the pics but the amount of MASS is more than our 2 1/2 YOs.
The left tall spike was 9" around the curve PLUS the 2 short ones. This was NO injury. Those spikes grew out of the pedicle in somewhat natural looking way.

AGAIN the M Six - 30-06 scored this year.

[Linked Image]

A little humor (anti doke- grin). I was right behind the house and my wife was in the bathroom, very close. After I shot I went back in the house and asked her if she was awake. "I am NOW !" lol

Continued due to pic limitation...

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!