Originally Posted by jwall
" baduh, baduh, that's all folks". This wraps it up for me for 2016. Today is the last day of Gun Deer Season even tho it was Mzl.

Next weekend we have Sat-Sun Youth Hunt, but I don't have any yutes close enuff to take.

The Doe in the last post was the LAST deer I've seen this week. I've hunted some every day and decided to devote these last few days to seeing the second 'odd' buck I saw the other day. NO luck.

I've been thinking about the 2017 Deer Season. I have another project rifle "I THINK" is close to being huntable.

Project 1 is a 98 Mauser Custom 284 Win. Whatever 'dumbcluck' smith drilled/tapped the scope base holes did a YUCK up job of it. The rear base is 'noticeably' OFF left.

I don't know any smith close that I trust to fill & re drill & tap. I have found some "Windage Adjustable" scope rings and HOPE they will ALIGN close enuff. I've never used windage adjustable rings...so I don't know. MAYBE

Since the 284 is antiquated I'm loading a nostalgic powder, Surplus 4831 under 139 gr bullets. I've done a little testing and I'm NOT trying to find the fastest load possible. My goal in vel is +/- 3000 fps. I feel the 98 is capable of pressure = to modern rifles NOT the Win 88.

SOON and very soon I plan to mount the scope. Hopefully it'll work and I can get some graphing done.

Project 2 is my 6.5X55 (Swede) using 120 NBT at +/- 3000 fps. The load is ready I just have NOT hunted it yet. I really wanted to hunt the OLD 30-06, especially the Six 06.
I've very happy & satisfied with the rifle & load.

Happy New Year to all! ! !

Jerry

What are the details of your 3,000 fps 120 grain BT 6.5x55 load?