Originally Posted by KenMi
Yeah, I dont think lead loads will do crap in that gun. Interesting he used sabot bullets in it, when those are not even designed to touch rifling. Id probably try the Barnes bullets with grooves to reduce fouling and pressure.

The Barnes copper bullets from 160 to 275 grains do very well in the 450Bushmaster bolt guns. (The Barnes Buster 325-gr .451 lead-core bullet was developed specifically for the 450 Bushmaster.)

With my Springfield M1903 in 450B, I used a Barnes 200-grain pointed XPB at about 2800 fps to take a piggy on the 2014 Campfire Hog Hunt in TN. (Pic's been posted previously.)
[Linked Image]
Lead bullets don't do well in AR-type rifles chambered in 450B. Apparently the gas port in the barrel takes a divot out of gas checks as they go past, which wrecks accuracy.

However, lead bullets in 450B bolt guns should do fine. Just for fun in July I tried some lead bullets with black powder in my 450B bench gun built on a 1972 Model 70 action.

Components for the BP session:
[Linked Image]
Firing the shots:
[Linked Image]
Target from 25 yards:
[Linked Image]
The results were sufficiently encouraging at very short range for me to plan some trials with smokeless next summer after the U.P. winter goes away.

(More details on the BP shots are in a thread on the 450 Bushmaster forum: [b][color:#0000FF]Black powder and cast bullets in the 450 Bushmaster[/color][/b].)

--Bob