Not totally sure how I feel about this, overall I think I'm in favor of it. The ATF has really too much become the anti-2A agency to many in the ranks, even the "honored" Agent Dodson who was whistleblower for Fast & Furious testified to Congress on the desperate need for federal gun owner databases so that federal agents could stop by for a "talk" with people who were buying more guns than the agents thought appropriate.

At this point I think armed federal agents should be restricted pretty much to only the FBI, US Marshals, Secret Service and the Border Patrol. Goodness knows the FBI doesn't have clean hands, but a lot of what they get away with is because they can point the finger at ATF for starting the problem. Let the FBI investigate crimes, let Treasury or somebody handle FFL paperwork and inspections.

http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398088
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner reintroduced the ATF Elimination Act, legislation that would dissolve the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and merge its exclusive duties into existing federal agencies.

Additionally, the Act calls for an immediate hiring freeze at the agency and requires the Department of Justice (DOJ) to eliminate and reduce duplicative functions and waste, as well as report to Congress with a detailed plan on how the transition will take place. Further, it would transfer enforcement of firearms, explosives and arson laws to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and illegal diversion of alcohol and tobacco products would be transferred to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

Under this bill, the DEA and FBI would be required to submit to Congress a plan for winding down the affairs of the ATF after no more than 180 days, and field offices, along with other buildings and assets of the ATF, would be transferred to the FBI. It would have one year to report excess property to the General Services Administration (GSA).

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/17/17.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com