Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
You can kill deer with them,but it wouldn't be my top choice for a dedicated 200-300 yard mule deer gun.

Agreed, why I'm asking about experiences from guys that have actually used the .223Rem. on deer. It would not be a dedicated mule deer gun - more of a multi purpose varmint, coyote and possible deer gun.

I think the 55 grn TTSX or the factory loaded 62 grn Federal Fusion would likely shoot well in that stock Winchester.

The bad thing about it is that it will work but would be less than ideal on anything except perfect shot opportunities. In my experience when I am hunting with a gun like that I'm likely to see the trophy of a lifetime only offering me a Texas heart shot.It's a shot I wouldn't think twice about with my 7 mag or 270 and good bonded or Barnes bullets.

The fact is that you can kill the snot out of deer with just a 22 lr if you always place the bullet well.I don't rely on enough gun to make up for poor shot placement but I've often needed something that would leave no doubt about penetration when offered a hard angle shot.

I would hunt the 223 but only knowing that there might be shots I would have to pass up that I wouldn't hesitate on with a different caliber.