2,650fps or so
[Linked Image]

We kill a quite a few deer a year, and the 22 CF's do very well with good bullets, and are downright sinister with a couple of bullets. I/we have started to change our thoughts on bullets the more we kill with .22 CF's- used to be we thought like everyone else that "tougher bullets" such as TSX's, GMX's, etc were the way to go in the smaller guns. After several dozen kills with them I GREATLY prefer heavy 75 and 77gr AMAX/Tipped Matchkings. They damage significantly more tissue and animals do not travel nearly as far.

.With 75gr AMAX or the 77gr TMK I do not feel that I give up much of anything to bigger calibers when viewed as a whole. There is no magic in bullets or how they kill. All else being equal with sufficient penetration, the wider the wound channel (the bigger the hole) the faster things die.

The Hornady 75gr A-MAX and the 77gr Sierra Tipped Matchking are two .224 bullets that have a wider wound channel in deer sized animals than most premium bullets that deer hunters are using.

It isn't the 1960's anymore. Once John Nosler came out with the Partition and people started realizing how to engineer projectiles from the targets perspective, the world of "sensible" choices changed. Manufactures can and do create bullets for specific characteristics in tissue and it is no thang to get a 300gr .338 bullet that will come unglued and only penetrate 10in, or a 50gr .224 that will penetrate 30+ inches.

Yes, it's possible to build a larger caliber bullet that will create much more tissue damage than a 77gr .224 bullet. However I haven't met anyone that wants MORE damage than the above. So if a person can get as much or more damage than they want, more penetration than they need, less recoil, less cost, less blast, and more precision...

Bullets, bullets, bullets.....