Originally Posted by centershot
Not trolling - and did see a 223AI Thread that was miles long. Had trouble determining if that was even serious as there are so many smart ass remarks. Seems to be a common theme where the .223 is mentioned as deer worthy.

I am/was in the camp of the .223 being too small, but never having tried it myself, wanted to ask the question. I have been around long enough and shot enough deer to know that a shot with a bullet that light would need to be broadside at reasonable range.

The reason I ask is that I have always wanted a M70 Featherweight (prefer .308) but saw one in .223 at a local shop. I'm trying to justify it to myself and if I could add it as a legit deer killer, well that may just be the tipping point.

This topic comes up often and typically stirs up spirited discussion. You obviously have various camps. Those who roundly eschew the 223 for deer hunting and those who swear by it. What you rarely find is anyone who has experience with the 223 and quality bullets who doesn't recommend it. The overwhelming majority of the detractors have never used a 223 with premium bullets on deer. That tells you all you need to know. I load the 60 grain Partition for my grandson and he is up to over a dozen one shot kills. Most died in their tracks and none have run more than 40 yards or so. Exit holes are the norm along with jellied heats and lungs. These are small coastal deer. It wouldn't be my first choice for a big Mule Deer at 300 yards, but I wouldn't pass on a good shot if I had it either.

A Winchester model 70 FW in 223 is a sweet rifle. Get it!