First off, do you like handguns? How often do you shoot one? Are you proficient?

I carry a handgun in addition to the rifle, not only as a get-offa-me option but also because I like killing deer with a handgun and take the time to practice with it. Over the years I've used various models but my constant has been some sort of 300+gr bullet which penetrates well at 1100-1200 fps. I find that with any more weight or recoil I either don't want to carry the thing or the recoil affects my accuracy.

If you aren't already committed to a handgun or aren't willing to become really adept with one before your trip, my best advice would be to get a rifle of sufficient power you can shoot well very quickly, with a bullet that will hold together for a full velocity impact at say, 7 yards. If you don't have such a rifle, buy one with your handgun money. If you already have the rifle, shoot up $700 in ammo before your trip on practice from snap shots at 10 yards to whatever distance you're competent to for caribou. Also, for a caribou hunt practice shooting the in wind alot.

Last edited by pabucktail; 01/24/17.