Northerner- here is my last bear encounter (that I'm aware of- there are probably 10 or more for every one the person is aware of).

A buddy and I were in a dome-tent about 40 miles up the Noatak River, which drains into Kotzebue Sound, 6 sea-miles across from our apartment here. With us was my now deceased Lab, Tripper. The tent was pitched at the mouth of the tributary Aggie Creek. Nice little bench with game trail there, and a 4 inch deep , 20 foot wide side channel immediately beside. We were camped on the lee side of a little point of timber, with a pretty good breeze coming up the Noatak.

During the night I woke to hear sloshing just downstream from the tent. I was contemplating whether it was wind/surf slosh on the inflatable boat or not when it ceased. NOT! A bit later the sloshing began again, on the upstream side of the tent. I nudged the sleeping dog, who sat up, barked "Bear" once, laid down, and went back to sleep. Helluva bear dog...

7 " bear tracks in the morning on the sand across from the tent- not too bad for an interior Griszzy.

Worked out well for all concerned.

The Lab died of liver cancer a couple years later by the way.

Last edited by las; 01/24/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.