Hi, thanks for coming here with your questions. It sounds like you trust your friends judgment when it comes to this rifle. It sounds like a nice clean rifle. That is extremely cool and if it is all original and in very nice shape (let's say high 90%), the rifle should be worth upwards of $3,000.00+. donsm70 is absolutely correct in that they would crack. Some cracked behind the tang and most cracked through the magazine mortise to the trigger slot in the stock. This was not a design flaw of the pre 64 model 70, but an engineering flaw that they eventually took care of with the later ones along with the 458wm as well. If your stock is not cracked, you better buy a lottery ticket right now. I'd also suggest putting the barreled action into a well known synthetic like a McMillan or Brown precision. When you do this, you won't need cross bolts. I'd hang on to the original stock and keep it in good condition and hunt with the McMillan, so you don't devalue the rifle by putting wear and tear on the original stock. This is what I did with my 375:
[Linked Image]

You could also buy a "shooter" stock off of ebay or someone here and install cross bolts in that stock. Here's a stock I bought on ebay for my 375 to keep it looking more original. I paid $120.00 for it, It already had the crossbolts, so I just glass bed it and I was in business:
[Linked Image]
These 375's are known for being excellent shooters. Dang near every pre 64 375 that I know of has been a phenomenal shooter. Mine was a sub moa rifle.
I look forward to hearing more about that rifle. Keep us in the loop and let us know when it was manufactured and when you get some pictures, post them and we can tell you a little more about that rifle. Thanks...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA