Understand the desire for a collector to pick out the fine points to maximize that collector value, but does that really apply here? Would this be more for using, and wearing out, vs preservation for display and collector value?

If for hard use and wearing out, would gas handling modifications be on the table, for safety sake? Retro gas block, modified shroud ala Roy Dunlap, custom safety w/ gas deflector, etc. Hard to think of a worse rifle to be using than an unmodified pre-64 should you run into primer or case issues.

I'd be looking for solid good condition of the barreled action, and to hell with any collector value. Sell off any collectible stuff you will not use, like the stock. Stick it in a durable hunting stock. And I'd modify the rifle to improve, the best you can, the original "gas and crap straight in the face" handling design. Then I'd hunt the snot out of it.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/15/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood