I gambled when I bought the house, a "low hanging fruit" of 2010. I had finished my last Army Reserve mobilization and went back to my civilian job, a City employee, and humbly grateful I that I had a job.

One incompetent clerk, kicked out of every other city office, screwed up my pay badly, shorting me $2400 my first month back. I was just under $200 short of making all my obligations. With a pregnant girlfriend, her two sons, and their cousins living with us as their family had fallen apart. I went to my Union but that was fruitless. The City countered with a threat to withhold $80,000 from my next paycheck (news flash: I do not make $80,000 a month as a cop)claiming they over payed me while I was deployed.

When I threatened to go to the Labor Board, the reprisals happened. I was whispered to in the latrine by a Sergeant that he was ordered to remove my name from all forthcoming commendations. Work, though minor, that I did was credited to others. Then I was brought up on criminal charges by our Internal Affairs office for an event that happened four hours after I was off-duty and at home.

I was cleared in the formal investigation, but I missed my daughter's birth while being grilled by former comrades who were not climbing the ladder.

The first negative mark on my credit report nullified my Security Clearance and thus ended my military career. Down to only one paycheck, Debt soared as I made only minimum payments and broke contracts. Gas and groceries went on the credit cards. Luckily, I had a minor but good collection of guns that kept me from losing the house. There were rough times. Her boys were bitter during their High School years but have grown into fine young men. One had run away but grew up fast, learning the truth about hard times and good people versus frauds and hustlers.

It is my fault for not having a enough money saved to prevent the catastrophic cascade of debt. I am still struggling but will soon sell off everything gun and hunting related and concentrate on maximizing money and minimizing debt. I am too old for this and the girls need braces and clothes.

Wah. Sniveling over, for now.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe