I have not had much luck in the past with ceramic, diamond impregnated or steels.

I did catch a comment somewhere (maybe here) that if you could find and old "Sheffield" steel, they work.

I found one at a flea market for $2 and it seems to make a difference over the several others I have had a tried to use.
I have only been using it on the kitchen knives (some of which are variants of shop mistakes), and still have to work out the best process, but it has promise.

I was told by my mentor that if you use steels, you need smooth ones for softer blades and a textured surface for the harder hunting styles. You supposedly can freshen them up
with a 120 grit on a belt sander. Still working on that bit of info.

Some time we should keep records for a year on how many self inflicted cuts we get. Winner gets a box of bandaids.

Tim

Knives sharpened on the Edge Pro just get a couple licks on an impregnated leather strop and are back to work for a couple more iterations before back on the fixture.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".