fwiw...

in the cutting room, a large ceramic steel works great for a little touch up but best for the final run after the stone, to de-tooth the edge cutting hair sharp. But if they aren't clean (really clean) they are no more effective than smooth steel, i.e. to straighten out an edge after using it some. Kept a can of comet cleanser to bring mine back to white--once it is streaked with metal, it needs to be cleaned.

That's a PITA when working and guys tend to break them in the shop. So, it worked best for me to use a smooth (steel) steel to straighten at the table and the ceramic following refreshing the blade on a stone.

The Sheffield steels came with a cutting surface or smooth. Now steels can come combo. The cutting surface would help when your knife needed more than just a little straightening. Generally in the middle of something during the day. Then in the AM, start with a stone.

add: agree with what yer mentor said. I loved the softer carbon blades because it was easier and faster to dress and refresh. But this was throw-away stuff not custom handled finery...:)

Last edited by tomk; 02/20/17. Reason: mentor

Defend the Constitution