Originally Posted by RAS
All:

I bought a new EOTech 512 in 2016. A friend of mine told me that he heard about an issue with them, but I thought that was with those made before 2008.

Is something new out there, from a reputable source?

Thank you

All EOTech's- every year, every model have serious issues. As best as I can remember since the mid 2000's I have been issued around two dozen EoTechs. Every single one has had problems. From ridiculously short battery life, to zero shift, battery contact problems, flashing reticles, and ghosting. On top from teammates to students I have seen a couple hundred conservatively. Nothing has made me trust them.

If it's just for a plinker, well rock on. I still wouldn't out of principal, but it doesn't really matter if cans are the target. However, when used in a duty capacity (or home protection) and people say that they haven't had issues in use, I really start to question what they think "use" is. A while back I started working at a place that has a very aggressive training schedule and issued EOTechs. Most thought that they had no issues as other organizations that we work with used and "liked" them. Enter a structured marksmanship program where your ability to hit realistic targets on demand and pure shooting skills are measured and become a part of your continued employment, and you had a bunch of dudes that could shoot anything that they want pulling Aimpoint Comp M2's out of storage. Of course a lot of other previously "good" optics turned out it to be not so good as well....

Just saying that for the price of an EOTech one can get an Aimpoint that will last for years without being turned off, will hold zero as good as iron sights, and who's parent company aren't POS's.