Pull your fingers out of your ears and listen. The "H" is a DATE code, NOT a model number. In 1956 there were 3 models available, an EG, an F and an R, they all had an "H" stamped on them, because the "H" is a DATE code, NOT a model. Your info was correct it has an "H" date code. You have to tell us what it LOOKS like to find out the MODEL. Remember "H" is DATE only. The "H" in the little oval has nothing to do with model, it's a DATE stamp. Savage started the DATE code in 1949 with "A", 50-"B", 51-"C", etc.

You said you looked up the DATE on the SAVAGE DATE site. Then you started calling the DATE the Model.

So, take this piece of chalk and write on the chalk board, "A=1949, B=1950, C=1951, and these are DATES", 100 times. When you are done we will give you a new piece of chalk and start on the MODELS.

A 308 in any of the three models available with condition would be a good deal. I'm not sure if the EG was drilled and tapped by the factory for a scope. But if all other conditions were good, I'd go for it. Good luck and welcome to the site, Joe.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 02/21/17.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin