Ticks must not like me, I don't think I had any on me this past year. This would be in both Somerset and Clearfield counties so they're definitely out there, just not on me. Not that I'm complaining.

I think the last license fee increase was in 1999.

The Game Commission has tried several things with pheasants including Sichuan pheasants that were supposed to need less/different cover than ringnecks. They also have several Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in the state, large blocks (1000's of acres) of suitable habitat and limited or no pheasant hunting. I'm not sure of the total game plan on them but some of it is working, I see/hear pheasants here in Somerset year round.

The biggest factor in the pheasant decline was the loss/clearing of brush rows and ditches in small farm fields to make them into bigger fields. Plus better weed control in crop fields. In other words, habitat loss on private land.

Controlled burns are becoming more common. Until a few years ago, whoever started a fire (even for a controlled burn) was liable if it got out of control. Nobody wanted that risk so nobody burned. The law was changed but it takes time to get folks trained in burn planning and implementation. Plus, from what I've seen, most burns require pretty specific atmospheric conditions (wind, humidity etc.)

Dale

This space for rent