Originally Posted by Yondering

It sounds like you've just never held a slim and light AR. They don't have to be bulky or heavy; that's for people who don't know any better IMO. In my experience as easy to build a 5.5-6 lb AR as a more traditional hunting rifle of the same weight.

For example, the AR pictured below delivers the same ballistics as a 35 Remington in a Marlin 336. However, this AR is shorter, slimmer, and lighter than a 336, and many bolt guns too for that matter. In my opinion it carries easier, even though a 336 or 94 carries well, and at less than 6.5 lb, it's 1-1.5 lb lighter than an iron sighted 336 or many bolt guns. Of course, this AR could be any AR caliber you want without changing the weight significantly.

YMMV of course, this is just one example of many.

[Linked Image]

Colorado has a minimum .243"/6mm caliber for big game so a 223 or 5.56 isn't viable unless I go out of state. My .300 Blackout makes the cut - but barely due to the requirements for 1,000 foot-pounds energy at 100 yards. The .308 AR I'm building would a make the cut in a walk but it will definitely be heavier and bulkier ad less handy than my bolt and lever rifles.

Just my opinion but even a light AR is bulkier and less handy than my bolt and lever guns. Let me correct that to "most of my bolt and lever guns", to exclude my long, heavy-barreled target/varmint rifles.

Not trying to knock ARs and, as I mentioned in my last post, I've been thinking about hunting WY antelope with my .223/5.56 RRA - in spite of the fact I have better options in my safe. Why do it? Because I can and because so many lawmakers would take my ARs (along with all my other firearms, for that matter) if they could.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.