Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Yondering thinks ARs are handier than ‘svelte bolt rifles and leverguns’.

I didn't say that; you're putting words in my mouth and adding details after the fact to support your emotional position. You said:

"The AR design ... is bulky and far less than handy compared to a standard bolt or lever rifle."

It sounds like you asked a question to prove a point and validate your opinion, rather than learn something. If I'd known that initially, I wouldn't have bothered responding, but will remember in the future that you're one of those guys.

As I pointed out an AR can be as slim and light as most lever guns or bolt action hunting rifles, and that is partly why some people enjoy hunting with them. No reason to turn that into a dick measuring contest other than to stroke your ego.

You cherry picking specific lightweight guns to compare doesn't prove anything or back up your statement, if you want to do that, lets compare to a sub-4 lb AR.

What I said was this:

"... no one can convince me the AR's are not bulky and less handy than a svelte bolt rifle or lever gun."

To which you replied this:

Originally Posted by Yondering
[… I just showed you a rifle that is slimmer, shorter, and lighter than your lever gun, but "nobody can convince you"? OK... I guess that was a waste of time, no sense explaining to someone who clings to an opinion in the face of solid evidence. …

I didn’t put words in your mouth, I just responded to what you wrote.

You say I am “cherry picking specific lightweight guns for comparison”. It is true I picked two of my rifles that are lighter and handier (to me) than any AR I’ve handled. I left out my .22” barreled 243 Win Savage FXP3, which the factory says comes in at 6.5 pounds, as does the Savage Axis. Ruger American rifles come in at 6.2 to 6.3 pounds. A Kimber Mountain starts at 4 pounds 13 ounces with a 22” barrel.

When it comes to “slim” you and I obviously have different definitions. The height of an AR, even with a 5 round mag, far exceeds any hunting rifle I own and it is primarily that height that – IMHO – makes it bulky.

Edited to add:

I would like to see a sub-4 pound AR rifle but it would still be bulky.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/02/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.