Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Action rifle shooting is the best test of how a rifle handles.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. When hunting big game I've never needed fast reloads, high cap mags or high cyclic rates. ARs do some things very well but my hands much prefer the ergos of a svelte bolt or lever gun for big game hunting purposes. In my opinion - and you are welcome to your own - they carry better and handle and mount more naturally. They are also measurably less bulky, with about half the waist in the magazine area and no grip sticking out.

There are reasons why the ergonomics of the AR dominate the game.

You might not need quick handling in your hunting but if you ever enter a competition that is timed and objectively scored the ergos of the AR will be your friend.

Again, the demands of 3 Gun competitions have very little to do with the realities of my big game hunting needs and preferences. As stated before, I don't dislike ARs and in fact have two, a .223/5.56 and a .300BLK with a .308 in the build process and have purchased ARs for my daughters. They have good ergos for what they are but 'svelte' isn't a word I would apply to them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.