Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by badger
No accent here, although everyone else I talk to seems to have one.........

Pretty much how it is for me.

Folk from Appalachia ain't got no accent.

Amen brother... we Virginians don't...its ever'body else...

by the way... "Earl" is Kentucky/Tennessee for Oil...

Virginia its Uhl....

southern accents are dependent on who settled what areas...

Old English, Scotland, Ireland and then whether the area had a lot of slaves or not....

I know the first time I was in far northern Maine up by Caribou, I could tell the way people spoke with a slight different accent than Southern WVa and SW Virginia.... but the sentence structure and ways of saying words was pretty much spot on...

both areas minus a lot of different ethic groups, passing thru after the original groups that settled there...

always traveled a lot.. when I was growing up, I could usually identify what states most southern folks were from, just by the way they would pronounce one or two words....

could always tell people from eastern PA by two words...

Beautiful and hour.... they would pronounce Beautiful, like people from New Jersey would.... b-u-Tee Full...kinda fast

and then they pronounce Hour like we did in Virginia.. Eye-Errr....

once in a while, my son loves for me to speak "southern" for some of his friends....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez