If I'm careful with diction, I sound completely midwestern or non-regional even though I'm from far west Texas. El Paso has had a large military presence for many years and is a kind of melting pot for regional accents. On the other hand, it may depend on what part of the area you frequent and who you hang with, even if you live there.

My ex brother-in-law grew up in the same neighborhood where I did, but speaks with an odd and choppy cadence I only became aware of one day when I heard him speaking from the other end of the house. I couldn't hear anything well enough to understand and it sounded like someone speaking Spanish. That was kind of illuminating.

Now you fellows up in Montana...believe it or not, you have an accent, but it is so danged subtle that I suspect most folks in other parts of the country may not even notice it. I had a very good friend in the Navy who was from Billings and during the time we worked together I heard him say plenty. After the Navy I went back to Texas for a number of years, then one summer I migrated to Montana for a while. I was surprised when I listened to people talk because I kept hearing the same *oh-so-subtle* accent. It is SO subtle I could never describe it, but I recognize it when I hear it.

There's a subtle California accent too, but it's easier to pick up on than that Montana accent.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.