i don't hear oil pronounced earl in Ky that much truthfully we have a friend from Ohio that likes to crack on southern accents.I tend to let her go for a while and ask her to say oil. She pronounces it with a hard E sound in the middle ,sort of a oi-E-il I just ask how the he-- do you get 3 syllables out of a simple 3 letter word . It's oil not o-ei-ei-oil.

The plant I use to work at had a engineer that came from Boston. He liked to hit on hit on the local habit of ending words with a inappropriate r sound for example winder for window. I would just reply that it was southerns way of maintaining balance in the universe because people from Boston left all the orphaned R's floating around our there by pronouncing car as caa, and bar as baa.

Actually I think that the Appalachian area of Ky , WV and parts of N Tn have a much harder and distinct accent than a true softer southern accent as from Georgia , and softer yet Virginia. Get down into Louisiana and parts of southern Mississippi where the French influence is present and I can't tell you what the he-- those guys are talking about.

Last edited by bangeye; 03/23/17.