Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by LFD
Why spend a lot of money because someone says a premium bullit is better than the cup and core for White Tail Deer

A cup and core 270 will work 100% of the time on broadside chest shots. It will work on 99% of all shots. It's the 1% where you need a bonded,partition, or mono Barnes type bullet.

I grew up on the .270 and have learned and adjusted over the years.....Sure on a perfect broadside, unalert, standing still deer, 1/3 of the way up behind the shoulder deer you will have a dead deer within 100 yards everytime...But how often does that happen?..Deer moves last minute, rushed shot, wind switches or gusts, catch a twig, a million things can go wrong and thats when you will want a better bullet! In my younger years I thought it was cool to shoot the bright colored tipped BT's. It was also cool to blow a 4 inch hole in the front chest of a 6pt at 30yards..But.. It wasnt cool when I caught a shoulder and wounded an animal....Also use to shoot el cheapo cup and core (Win blue box, remington Coreloc, Win silvertip, Federal) and have seen my fair share of failures and less than desirable performance from them as well as BT's, SST, hotcore)...practice with them, sight in with them, shoot coyotes with them....But when season rolls around spend the extra $5-10 a box and buy some decent bullets (minimum hornady Interloc, Fusions, Accubond,ELDX, Sirrocos, partitions)