Originally Posted by 16bore

And few will kick their own dog. That's why 2" less drift is a mile when your the one with the "advantage".

Just had a discussion with a couple folks on the elevator at my hotel here in Toronto. They are staying on the 17th floor while I'm on the 6th.

We all agreed that in case of fire and everyone having to jump out the windows, they would have longer to live than I would - but their extra 1-1/2 seconds or so would not make any appreciable difference in the individual outcomes. Sometimes stuff matters, sometimes it doesn't.

As a practical matter, most game is taken at ranges under 300 yards. A 2” difference in drift that occurs far beyond that range makes no practical difference to most hunters. Nor, except as a fluke, does it make any difference to irresponsible hunters like my son-in-law's father, who is one of those willing to take shots at any range but is clueless about how to do so effectively. For him a 2" difference in drift wouldn't get him close to on target with some of the shots he has bragged about missing. In reality, those 2” only matter to a tiny fraction of hunters or shooters. That is, IF and WHEN the 2” advantage actually occurs.

A 2” advantage in drift? What does that equate to in terms of yards? Frankly, it depends on what it is compared to. Out of curiosity, I ran a comparison between my .257 Roberts with my +P handloads using a 110g AccuBond and a Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor 129g InterBond factory load.

The following numbers were generated using the ‘Point Blank’ ballistic calculator and assuming 7500 feet, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, 250 yard zeros and a 10mph crosswind.

At 500 yards:

6.5 Creedmoor / 129g IB @ 2950FPS (B.C. .485) (Hornady Superformance factory load, 24” barrel)
31.2” Drop
2245 FPS
1445 FPE
13.1” drift

.257 Roberts / 110g AccuBond @ 3163fps (B.C. .418) (+P Handload, 22” barrel)
28.0” Drop
2319 FPS
1313 FPE
14.0” Drift

For those that are paying attention, that gives the 6.5 Creedmoor less than a 1” drift advantage at 500 yards. To give the cartridge its due, it does eventually reach a 2” advantage in drift – at about 675 yards. By then, though, we’re talking about total drift distances of 25.1” vs 27.2”. Adjust velocities for equal length barrels and the difference shrinks even further.

For kicks I ran the calculations for my 6.5-06AI with a 130g Swift Scirocco II.

At 500 yards:
6.5-06AI / 130g Scirocco II @ 3161fps (B.C. .571) (Handload, 24” barrel)
25.7” drop
2528fps
1845fpe
9.9” Drift

Don’t think I’ll be jumping on the 6.5 Creedmoor wagon any time soon but certainly don't "hate" it or look down on those that choose it. Considered recommending it to Daughter #1 for her first centerfire but a .308 Win won out for number of reasons.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/30/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.