Not being facetious - when hunting deer and elk I want to be able to leave my overthinking brain out of the shot as much as possible - so 300 yards and closer is point and shoot. Everything farther than 350 yards is first laser range find then hold with either Z800 reticle on the 300 Weatherby or Z600 reticle with the 7mm RM on the appropriate line. Both rifles are hand load tested to match the trajectories on the reticles in hunting conditions.

I practice to 800+ yards with both rifles but have only shot one pig at 513 and 1 elk at 550 yards so my real world long range is limited compared to some posters here.

This is the "hunting rifle" forum not the - "cool new target craze wanabee sniper - ballistic coefficient is everything" forum or the 6.5 would be king.

The Weatherby 6.5 would make it point and shoot out to 400 yards on big game animals. That is a sexy 6.5 - one that makes longer shots less of an algebra problem and more of a quick hunting solution.

I'm always curious about the mathematical information and find all the ballistic stuff to be quite interesting. But it is an academic endeavor for most folks - I'm hunting to actually shoot and kill tasty animals and am quite attached to elk burgers. So I usually trust actual shooting at distances with the exact load and rifle I'll be using sitting on my fat butt and resting elbows on my knees like I usually do at ranges over 300 yards in the real world - instead of just reading the interesting ballistic BS......unlike a lot of creedmor shooters.