Of course, distance from blind or stand to bait is a factor to be reckoned with if using a moderate load. I've killed several at 100 yards using a .45-70. At that range, I've always used a heavier bullet that holds velocity better. One of the best for handloads is the 405gr Remington as it has a decent ballistic coefficient of .281. It is also tougher than the 400gr Speer. I've used both.

Angle of the shot is another factor. I've shot bears facing me (the last three in fact were all facing me), quartering toward and quartering away.

If you have in mind a particular size bear, and it doesn't cooperate in presenting a broadside shot, I'd personally use something heavier than a 300gr. Right now, as a fact, I've just this week sighted my Ruger #1 in .45-70 for dead-on at 100 yds using the 350gr Hor. RN.

I've owned several Marlins, NEFs and three Rugers. This last one, I had long-throated so bullets could be seated "long", especially the monos. My bear load for this year is that 350 Hornady seated to 2.77" COL. It shoots MOA leaving the muzzle at 2322fps. That bullet was made for a .458 Win Mag and needs extra velocity for adequate expansion. I can push it to 2500 fps with ease if need be.

But the first bear I took with the 400gr Speer was from an 1895 Marlin Classic (22") leaving the muzzle at 1865 fps average. I practised with that load for several weeks until I could consistently put three offhand shots inside a 3" circle at 100 yds. That paid off as that was the distance to the bait. A good spring bear was taken with a shot just behind the right shoulder. Impact was around 1500 fps but the bullet was lost in field dressing after dark. It punched a 2.5" hole through fur, hide and ribs but never made exit. The bear went 10 yards into a patch of alders and died there. I gave it another as insurance standing on the platform of a moose hunting stand. That one was retrieved in skinning the next day. It retained 90.5% (362 grs) of original weight, and found in the offside armpit. Nonetheless, I prefer the 405 Remington as it will give complete penetration.

But a 300 bonded at 1800 should work well enough if both angle and range are right.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus