Originally Posted by JamesJr
I don't think anyone could remake a John Wayne movie and make it better. Remember Stagecoach? It's been remade twice since the 1939 original, and got worse each time. Same way with Red River. They made a remake starring James Arness, who I liked, but he was not Duke, not by a longshot. By the way, went to sleep in my recliner last night, and woke up to see the original Red River coming on. Had to watch it again, for probably the 88th time, and it's still just as good as it was the first time. Same way with all of them. I'd guess I've watched The Searchers more than any of Wayne's films, and could sit through it again a 100 more times.
The Searchers transcends the genre and is the best movie ever made. [bleep] watching some rich guy die clutching a snow-globe.

Much was made of Stagecoach and Red River. I've never thought either was that great and I flat-out have never liked The Shootist. Wayne was a good-enough actor who could take essentially silly material like The Cowboys, and make it watchable. He could also remake the same movie several times, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Rio Lobo, and make a decent movie each time.