Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Hey now. Y'all gotta be thinking I'm a youngster @ 32. The remake was good (for a movie). I saw the remake before making a point of watching the original. Sure enough, like most movies and things we see on the big and small screens, the original was better.

Sometimes remakes are better. I have yet to see the new "Kong: Skull Island" but somehow I think it will be better than all the previous ones. Why? Special effects and (the former crackhead) Samuel L. Jackson, John C. Reilly and John Goodman. You do have to respect the 1933 original. The 'franchise' is nearly 100 years old. But CGI and hi-def and great sound "bring you into the movie" more than good camera angles. I'm not holding up the new King Kong except as an example of an instance where the new version/remake is better than the original IMO. We're talking 1933 acting and special effects vs. CGI and hi-def sound and image.

Oh now you done it!!!
The original KK is a personal top three for me and one the greatest movies ever made. It happened to make Marion c Cooper a personal hero of mine. His life story is one of the most incredible, admirable, and inspiring of the American spirit.

I cannot stand CG and don't think I am alone. Every subsequent Kong has seemed less than the preceding. The Jack Black version had a few (very few) moments - thanks in part to Naomi, but over the top silly action scenes do little to compel and are a poor substitute for suspense. So is excessive gore or plain gross. Suspense being more nuanced and difficult but so much more captivating if a little is left to the imagination. Somehow the idea that 'more' is better is beaten in to every modern producer. How big is this new Kong again??? And who taught it pugilism? Can you really survive a narrow pathway with raptors and stampeding brontosaurus? Ugh.

Older films needed a bit of imagination and as a result involved the viewer to a greater degree. I find far too many newer ones bordering on insult.

Becoming a curmudgeon I guess.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius