Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
USSR1991: I had to finally look up (Google!) what "MIM" means.

Definitions: Acronym Definition; MIM: Metal Injection Molding: MIM: Mendelian Inheritance in Man: MIM: Man in the Middle: MIM: Multilateral Initiative on Malaria: MIM: Metal ...

I am assuming that the "MIM" you refer to in your post ("Pre-MIM Smith's) has something to do with the Google optional definition "Metal Injection Molding"?
How do I tell which type parts are in prospective Smith & Wesson revolvers I may come across?
Is there a date of manufacture cut/off or start up for me to look for?
Congratulations on the latest acquisition of the K-38 Masterpiece!
I remember as a young policeman trying for 5 years to get to "Expert" class in my departments quarterly qualifications thus allowing me to "trade up" from a Smith & Wesson Model 10 to a Smith & Wesson Model 14 (K-38 Target Masterpiece) there in the early 1970's.
I foolishly turned that fine pistol back in to the department for a Smith & Wesson Model 66 several years later!
I am guessing I put at least 10,000 rounds of quality wadcutter ammunition through that K-38 in quarterly qualifications, practice and some Varmint and Grouse Hunting.
Fine pistol it was - enjoy yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Some time in the 1990s they switched to MIM for the trigger, sear, hammer. They have a very different look. One key to tell with blued guns is that pre-MIM parts were color case hardened. Easy to tell with stainless, too, but I don't know how to convey it to you in writing.