Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
USSR1991: I had to finally look up (Google!) what "MIM" means.

Definitions: Acronym Definition; MIM: Metal Injection Molding: MIM: Mendelian Inheritance in Man: MIM: Man in the Middle: MIM: Multilateral Initiative on Malaria: MIM: Metal ...

I am assuming that the "MIM" you refer to in your post ("Pre-MIM Smith's) has something to do with the Google optional definition "Metal Injection Molding"?
How do I tell which type parts are in prospective Smith & Wesson revolvers I may come across?
Is there a date of manufacture cut/off or start up for me to look for?
Congratulations on the latest acquisition of the K-38 Masterpiece!
I remember as a young policeman trying for 5 years to get to "Expert" class in my departments quarterly qualifications thus allowing me to "trade up" from a Smith & Wesson Model 10 to a Smith & Wesson Model 14 (K-38 Target Masterpiece) there in the early 1970's.
I foolishly turned that fine pistol back in to the department for a Smith & Wesson Model 66 several years later!
I am guessing I put at least 10,000 rounds of quality wadcutter ammunition through that K-38 in quarterly qualifications, practice and some Varmint and Grouse Hunting.
Fine pistol it was - enjoy yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

An easy way to tell is the GOOD forged hammer has the firing pin mounted to it. The cast POS (MIM) hammer does not have the firing pin mounted to it (rimfires excepted). Also, on the cast POS (MIM) trigger, it is hollowed out at the rear of it; making it easier to tell if you have a hammerless (think model 642, etc.) gun with cast POS (MIM) or forged metal (not hollowed out at rear). Ever notice that when anyone goes to sell a MIM S&W in the classifieds that they linger a long time before selling? Whereas the forged S&Ws seem to sell immediately, unless they're priced "higher than giraffe pu*sy"!! wink

Last edited by desertoakie; 04/24/17.

Ken