Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think the bottom line is as is evident here, there are some very good semi-auto's and it often comes down to one's experience and preferences. And those can change too as experience grows and different models appear.

I'll admit to biases against most American made shotguns for several reasons, with a few exceptions, including the semi-autos -- there is no close competition here for the Big Two from Italy IMO but that's what makes a horse race.

Good luck with your choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gas system on the 11-87 Sportsman's Field Model is designed for heavier loads? I hadn't really considered it for my purpose, but while we're on the subject of American shotguns, I thought I'd ask.

I appreciate all the discussion, it's given me a lot to think about, but at the end of the day, I think it will come down to a gas-operated Beretta or the inertia system of the Benelli; both are going to serve my purpose and outlast me at this point, so it will boil-down to ergonomics. Heading back to Cabela's within a week or two to shoulder a few more.......hoping the Benelli Ultra Light fits.

ETA: I do want to have a look at the Franchi Affinity as well.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/02/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.