Hunterapp: Back in 1995 I had a custom Rifle built on a Remington 700 action. I chose the 17 Mach IV cartridge for it. This Rifle has a 26 1/2" heavy stainless Shilen barrel on it with 1 in 10" twist.
The 17 Mach IV is a virtual twin of the later to come along 17 Remington Fireball - this custom Rifle has been supremely accurate from day one with the 25 grain Berger M.E.F. (Maximum Expansion Factor) bullets.
Then in 2,007 I bought a fancy Remington 700 Varmint Rifle (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) in 17 Remington Fireball. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 scope on it and using the same bullet, same powder (W 748), same primers (Federal 205 Match) and Remington 17 Fireball brass I was nearly able to duplicate the superb accuracy I got with the custom Rifle I had built.
I did begin barrel break-in and sight-in with the factory Remington 20 grain Accu-Tip bullets - all groupings (5 shots at 100 yards) were just at and just over .500" with this factory ammo!
So that factory 20 grain ammo IS (was!) pleasingly accurate but again my 25 grain Berger bullet handloads in the 17 Fireball were quite impressively accurate.
You are right the efficiency of the 17 Remington Fireball is impressive and worthy of consideration for the Colony Varmint shooter as well as the "fur conscious" predator Hunter.
I have killed two Coyotes in excess of 300 yards (each with one shot!) using the 17 Fireball and the 25 grain bullets.
Haven't tried any 30 grainers as yet.
And indeed I am looking to add to my "cache" of 17 Remington Fireball brass.
Good news for a change from Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy