Charley:

I had heard about KS "fill," but always assumed it was actually the Kevlar Special stocks that McMillan made for the Rem Custom Shop. I had a whole slew of those, and they all weighed in at about 24 ounces with pads, so when I heard 28 ounces, I wondered why I had all the light ones.

I built this .338 on one:

[Linked Image]

and this .270 Ti wears one too:

[Linked Image]

and I just bedded a .223 bull-barrelled action into a custom shop 40XB-Kevlar Special blank this past weekend.

But I never did see one in molded-in, like Mtn Hunter apparently has. That's a new one for me.

So, I am happy to stand corrected on the KS Fill thing. I just assumed it was the Rem Custom Shop stuff.

In any case, at various times, even before EDGE, I tried to get "KS FILL" and never could, and from there is where "light as possible for caliber" came, which apparently has been 32-ounce standard fill all along.

But I have one question: Is 28 ounces somehow a magic weight for rifle stocks, with 24 ounces being "lightish and 32 ounces "heavyish?"

I'm not sure I'm on board with that characterization. That's a pretty narrow window, and compared to a wood stock, 32 ounces is certainly light.

Anyway, I can't see how this affects my future purchases one bit. Like I've said, I'm sold, sold, sold on EDGE stocks, and that's where my money is going. IMO nothing comes close.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine