In my experience, trying to tune (really trying to wring out the best accuracy) 6 or 7 model 99's, I think finding the right bullet and powder has the most effect.

As far as bedding, I have discovered that minimizing the effect my "field hold" has on the forearm, and thus my effect on the barrel, has helped the most with consistency. It takes the random "what the hey-lll" fliers out of load testing, so it means my only excuse in the field is the nut behind the trigger.

I like the o-ring under the forearm method for buffering the effect of my hold. It is the simplest/easiest bedding experiment to start with, plus relieving any pressure spots in the rest of the barrel channel. You should be able to slide paper under the barrel from the receiver to the forearm screw, and from the screw to the end of the forearm.

I've done plenty of experimenting beyond that, but beyond a doubt for me, is that you will get your best accuracy mileage from load development, and your best consistency from minimizing the effect of your hold on the barrel

Last edited by JeffG; 06/18/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG