Originally Posted by VernAK
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

VernAK;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for your input into the thread and I trust all is well as can be in your world tonight.

Your hunting tale reminded me of a buddy in Whitehorse who was either on a First Nations high school experience hunt or a special draw for bison, I forget now which it was, but it was either late January or February.

He said that when they shot a cow, with two of them working as fast as they could to part up the bison it kept on freezing solid on them as soon as they skinned out a portion of it. He said too that it was " a royal bugger" getting the hide folded up onto to the toboggan they pulled behind their snow machines.

While I'm sure he told me just how cold it was, I forget that part now, but I'd given him a quilted Arctic Cat brand face mask for snowmobiling when he moved north and it was another time he phoned to thank me for it!

Honestly I'm not sure I could deal with extreme cold anymore, I've seen -48° without wind chill a couple times and stuff just didn't like to work anymore at those temperatures - sort of like your Crown Royal!

Thanks again for the cow hunt story and all the best to you folks as we head into shorter days and colder weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"