Kurt,
I hear yah. I had a tiny bit of snow fall off sled handle onto a ruger bolt action. It got in gun down near sear. Cylced round into chamber pulled the trigger: Nothing! There was no place for the firing pin be held back because of this tiny bit of snow.

So bolt essentially closed on a live round with firing pin resting on the primer. It couldve went off while cycling gun.

Toughest, simplest bolt rifle, rendered useless by a tiny bit of fking snow!

Another time, was coming back home with my freight sled loaded with 800 lbs of sheefish. Dogs picked up speed as we hit land. Drop into an alder choked gully : caribou everywhere!

Rip out the blr winter gun: shuck the lever, click. Shuck the lever again, pull trigger: click. Last ditch effort: pull out the 357 mag trail gun, got off one shot as they disappered into the alders: MISS.

My dogs kept looking back as if to say rest of way home: what an idiot. Never did winter hunt again with that darn blr.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you're fool enough to hunt in winter, carry a couple bottles of heet in the yellow bottle. I buy this sht by the 40 bottle box, to power my dog food cooker. When a rifle is frost or snow seized from a fall or some other scenario, douse that s.o.b. with heet. It's almost as effective as a thaw near the wood stove.

Instantly de-ices rifle. Evaporates off even in below zero. Doesnt hurt plastics or gun finish. It's quick enough to save a caribou hunt, ask me how I know........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/09/20.