Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well, i have fired a rifle in 120 f and it didn't even melt

dennisinaz;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this first crisp and clear morning of December finds you all well.

With apologies to one and all for my continued trips into the rhubarb on this thread, your statement reminded me of another story which I'll attempt to share with brevity.

Back in the mid '80's I worked at a test orchard which was owned by a combination of the BC gov and the BC Fruit Grower's Association. As such we'd get foreign exchange students sometimes.

This particular year we ended up with a wee wisp of a lass from Holland. I'd suggest she was 6'1" and roughly 180lb - which was good because she needed to be that size to carry around all that knowledge, as in she knew everything.

One morning shortly after arriving in June, as the Okanagan sun began to beat down upon us, she asked me how hot it got here. I replied that since we're a semi-desert - cactus, sagebrush, rattle snakes and scorpions - that it could get pretty warm and that I'd seen it 45°C - 113°F a couple times.

She snorted and said, "I don't believe that! At 40°C one's blood will overheat and we die." Since she didn't appear to be interested in learning there was a difference between internal body temperature and external temps, I didn't attempt to explain.

Fast forward to the 3rd week of July that year, I had to go down to the temperature gauge on the sand at the end of one block of trees to record the daily temperature, humidity and any rainfall - none - as was done daily.

That day, was a pretty warm one and the temp gauge read 46°C or 115°F, so when I walked back up to record that, she asked what it was and I told her.

She said, "What? How can that be? So hot??"

Being "that guy" when I was younger, I looked at her and said, "That's correct and we're all dead now..." laugh laugh

She didn't find it even a wee bit amusing, but I thought our coworker who was standing beside us was going to need medical assistance he was laughing so hard!

As mentioned, it must be tough to know everything there is to know about everything. Luckily I've never suffered from that myself!

All the best to you as we head into days cooler than 120° sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"