Well yesterday I went out and spend 76.00 on a couple of boxes of the FED HE 180gr. (I couldn't locate the Black Hills ammo at the two stores I went to, and I had some other stuff to do.)

Theoretically, the FED HE looks like it just the ticket. The ballistics are within an inch or less out to 500 yards with those of the Fed 168gr Matchking. The Fed Matchking is the cartridge that my scope (Springfield Armory Govt Model II) was designed around.

The Nosler states that the 180gr Nosler Partition needs at least 1800 fps to open up properly and at 500 yds the theoretical velocity of the FED HE is still moving at around 1900 fps.

Now if I can get my rifle to group well with the load, I am in business (otherwise I go back and look for the Black Hills ammo).

Jeff:

I am not wishing for a 500 yd shot at an elk, I just want to be reasonably confident I can make one if I need to (since nowadays I pretty much limit myself to big 6-pointers or better).

I also got a bear hunt coming up in a couple weeks and shots will probably either be really close or really long. I feel better with 180gr bullet for that work.

And, finally I got a deer hunt coming up after the elk hunt, and for that I would really like to try out the rifle for a long range kill (provided I feel confident I can make the shot).

Again, thanks for all the good advice.