I am no expert but have well over 50 big game kills and have never shot a so called a Texas Heart shot yet. For that matter I never plan on one either. I have turned more than one elk or deer down because of no decent shot was offered. I have yet to be sorry, IMO it is the right thing to do. I have never tried to break a shoulder either, heart lungs work, has been my experience. It takes blood and oxygen to live and without it nothing moves far.
We use 30 calibers ( '06's and 308's) with 150 grain bullets they work, again IMO you don't need the latest greatest magnum or the several dollar apiece bullets to reload. Somewhere close to 100 animals have fallen for me and mine the last few decades with either the Federals or the Core-Lokt's.
There is nothing wrong with $3500 rifles or $5 bullets but again IMO unnecessary.

I followed a fella's advice who had "got his elk" 17 years in a row. He used a 30-06 with 150 grains reloads, the elk have not changed. What worked then works now. How much time and money do you suppose Remington spent developing the core-lokt bullet? Nearly every bullet I see advertised in the gun rags looks almost identical when recovered as what I have seen with what few I have recovered.
I'll get off my soap box, but the bottom line to me is hit em where it counts is first and foremost. Hunt responsibly don't shoot just cause you can hit a animal any ol place from any distance.

Last edited by 700LH; 08/20/07.